What is I choose Montréal?
Are you familiar with I choose Montréal? It’s a custom initiative developed by Montréal International, in association with Québec’s Government to better equip international students who want to study in Montréal or to stay after completing their studies!
More and more international students are enrolling at universities in Greater Montréal – clinched the no.1 spot among the best student cities in the Americas and the no.6 spot in the world in 2019 by QS, and the 2nd best city for millennials in 2018 by Nestpick . According to the Bureau de coopération interuniversitaire, more than 33,000 international students have chosen Montréal for their studies in 2017, which is a 10% increase compared to the previous year.
Support to international students
The mission of I choose Montréal is to promote the region to international students but also to support the large community of international students who want to stay here after their studies. The team works closely with school boards, colleges and universities to provide information and activities related to the following themes:
For prospective international students
- Study: find out more about the student experience in Greater Montréal thanks to articles regarding the life, work and learning opportunities.
For current international students in Montréal
- Live: discover the quality of life Greater Montréal has to offer, in collaboration with various cultural and tourism organizations, and the cities within the greater metropolitan area.
- Work: find out which sectors are thriving and gain some exposure with private businesses (local and foreign), international organizations and economic development agencies during information sessions, networking activities and recruiting events.
- Immigrate: take part in information sessions on how to become a permanent resident with MIDI, on campuses and online.
Support to employers for their recruiting needs
At the same time, I choose Montréal is always offering to work with employers in Greater Montréal, by highlighting international students as prime candidates for job openings as they are highly educated, multilingual and already have a degree from Québec, knowledge of the region and an international network.
- Putting employers in contact with international students in Greater Montréal
- Organizing joint activities for the aim of recruitment
- Promoting job offers and internship opportunities
I choose Montréal promotes Greater Montréal to prospective international students through local and worldwide events, as it can be seen on the video.
This video shows the mission of Montréal International at the Pixelatl festival in September 2018.
Staying in Montréal after graduation: How to immigrate to Québec
If you’re one of the 33,000 international students studying in Greater Montréal, check out this video. In just 4 min 38 sec, the video explains what you have to do to immigrate to Québec if you want to live and work in Montréal after graduation. It’s quite easy, you’ll see.
Watch the video and listen to testimonials from former students to get a clear picture of the steps involved in applying for a post-graduation work permit, a CSQ and permanent residence. The takeaway: Do your research and plan ahead to smooth your transition into the workforce. Give it a shot!
Hiring international students: A smart move
In fall 2016, there were over 33,000 international students enrolled in post-secondary education in Greater Montréal (MEES, 2017), and the number of students attending university went up 10% in fall 2017 (BCI, 2017). That spells opportunity for Montréal businesses.
In this video, I Choose Montréal features Montréal-area employers who consistently leverage diversity to drive growth. Whether it’s AKKA Technologies, Bell or IBM, all employers look for the same qualities in candidates: strong skills, ability to speak several languages, open-mindedness and interesting life experiences.
Be a part of the community
Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to take advantage of our offers and events.