CAQ and Study Permit Applications

Understanding the CAQ and Study Permit Applications

Watch the video below and read the information on this page to understand how to proceed with your applications.


If you’re coming to Greater Montréal to study for over six months, you must apply for a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies and a study permit.

These applications must be submitted separately to the Government of Québec and the Government of Canada.

Obtaining your CAQ

Before submitting your application, it is crucial for you to have the admission letter from your designated learning institution. As soon as you receive the admission letter, you can submit your application to the Government of Québec. The application has to be submitted online.

The CAQ application costs $124 for international students (as of January 1, 2023). NOTE: These fees are non-refundable even if your application is refused.

Since January 25, 2021, students have to submit their documents via the Arrima platform to complete their applications for the CAQ for studies. Please note that you must submit all your documents at the same time, as you will not be able to make any modifications later on.

Refer to the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration website for more information.

Obtaining your study permit

You must apply for the study permit issued by the Government of Canada before arriving in Canada. This study permit is not a visa. You may need a temporary resident visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. If your study permit application is approved, the visa will also be issued at the same time.

Processing times vary depending on the country. You must therefore submit your application as soon as possible to obtain your study permit before the start of the university session. A study permit is usually valid for the duration of your study program, plus 90 days.

The study permit application costs $150. By obtaining this study permit you will be able to study here and you could also be allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during your courses.

With a few exceptions, you will need to provide your biometrics (photo and fingerprints).

Note that with your study permit, your family may also be able to accompany you to Canada.

Refer to the Government of Canada website for more information.

Newsletter Close

Be a part of the community

Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to take advantage of our offers and events.