Speech Science Intern
At Nuance, for 25 years, we have been empowering people with the ability to seamlessly interact with their connected devices and the digital world around them. We are creating a world where technology thinks and acts the way people do by designing the most human, natural, and intuitive ways of interacting with technology.
Join our Enterprise team in Montréal…great customer service starts here. We design virtual assistants for intelligent and effortless customer service helping customers find the information they need using whatever channel they prefer.
Nuance welcomes about 150 interns each year and the Montreal Internship Program is a strategic part of our development! Our internships offer students and exciting path to contribute to cutting edge technology and innovative products and make a true business impact. As a key member of our team, you will expand your technical skills exponentially, grow your professional network & work alongside some of the best and brightest in the world!
The intern will report to one of our senior staff, with oversight from a speech science manager. The intern will meet his supervisor every week, and daily via e-mail and adhoc sessions. Work assignments will have duration of 2 to 4 weeks, and formal feedback sessions will be given at half way and completion points.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Grammar development
- Grammar optimization
- Presentation of results to internal and external clients
- Establishing requirements and test plans
- Maintain and secure the products, tools, and processes that you are responsible for operating
- You are currently enrolled in Bachelor, Master or PhD in Linguistics, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or similar
- Coursework in pattern recognition, acoustics, or computational linguistics
- Computing skills; Linux, Perl, Python
- Good problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Mastery of several languages, a plus
- You are eligible to work full time (40h/week)
Why should you apply?
- Chance to work on innovative projects around topics such as speech recognition, AI and Machine Learning.
- Train and learn with the best in their specialist fields!
- Work with international teams to go beyond the limits of innovation.
- Ideal working environment, in the heart of downtown’s Montréal, one of the best student cities in the world.
- And also…Good work life balance, flexible hours, free drinks, office right off the metro, Award-winning Top Employer…
Working on what kinds of projects?
- Design, build and upgrade of speech applications for organizations such as banking and utility systems.
- Improve existing voice biometric tools (“my voice is my password”) using Python and write scripts so that the tools work together.
- Work on modification of a SOAP API to provide new features to a client.
- Creation of a tool in Jenkins to automatically install Kubernetes and helm in multiple virtual machines.
Name of employer
Place of employment
Years of experience
0 to 2 years
Number of available positions
Type of job
Until December 17, 2019