Associate Software Engineer
Software Engineering at HMH is focused on building fantastic software to meet the challenges facing teachers and learners. Enabling and supporting a wide range of next generation learning experiences. We design, and build custom applications and services used by millions. We are creating teams full of innovative, eager software professionals to build the products that will transform our industry.
We are staffing small, self-contained teams of engineers with people who love solving problems, building high quality products and services. We are looking for people with a wide range of skills, who can contribute broadly bringing the right tool to the right job. We use a wide range of technologies, and are building up a next generation services platform that can make our learning tools and content available to all our products, and someday to the world. If you want to make a difference in the lives of students and teachers, and understand what it takes to deliver high quality software, we would love to talk to you about this opportunity.
The Opportunity – Associate Software Engineer
We are creating teams full of innovative, eager software engineers to build the products that will transform our industry. As a learning company we expect our teams to keep learning as well, and apply that learning to their work every day. Our engineers are independent, self-directed professionals bringing the latest technologies into our products. We expect each team to tackle a big problem, goal, or product advancement, and are assembling groups that are empowered to deliver on these challenges in the way that makes sense for the company. The work is rewarding, and the environment promotes learning at all career stages. In addition to implementing software in their areas, software engineers are exposed to a wide range of core HMH technologies, and practices.
As member of a development team, you will be asked to think through your goal, figure out a potential solution, validate that solution with your peers, and then own the implementation. We are tool and language agnostic but rather apply a set of quality and development values and standards to our work. We are working to build a fast moving, low friction environment for engineers to bring innovative solutions to tough problems, and want people who thrive in that environment, but also understand that the freedom comes with a responsibility for the team to take responsibility for quality at every level.
Duties & Responsibilities
- With support from experienced teammates, work as part of a software development team taking responsibility for solving big challenges
- Great at turning ideas into code, and making that code usable by your teammates, and the company
- Propose and implement technical solutions to problems
- Understand HMH goals around quality and engineering discipline, including unit testing and code reviews
- Test, analyze data, and improve constantly
Knowledge & Experience
- Understand the software development process and how your work contributes to the larger goals
- We are looking for people who have some experience with Java or Node, as well as front-end (HTML/JS) but place the highest value on ability to be productive in a wide range of environments, and learn to be productive quickly, even with unfamiliar tools
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing)
- The person in this position needs to move about inside office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings
Name of employer
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Place of employment
Years of experience
0 to 2 years
Number of available positions
2 Available positions
Type of job
Until November 08, 2019