Applied Research Scientist Intern
Element AI is one of the world’s largest artificial intelligence companies, with a shared goal of using our extensive research to develop AI products and software that will solve some of the most challenging issues facing businesses and society as a whole.
We are founded on the belief that humans should be at the heart of everything we do, and have adopted a people-first and collaborative mindset to ensure we collectively drive real and ethically-sound results.
As an Applied Research Scientist Intern at Element AI, you will sit in a cross-functional team made up of people with a diversity of skill sets and experience. You will enjoy the unique opportunity to use your creativity in applying cutting edge machine learning methods to problems with significant impact on the users of our products. While doing so you will have access to the best hardware and you will be assisted by a team of IT experts and software developers, to ensure most of your time is spent on core R&D challenges.
As an Applied Research Intern, you could contribute to the advancement of one or more of the following projects:
- Enablement: Prediction of compute resources usage on a large-scale GPU cluster).
- Time Series: Concept drift detection, feature generation, dealing with multiple time-scales, handling of missing values, handling of irregularly-spaced data, etc.
- Explainability: Uncertainty quantification for vision models.
- Knowledge Scout: Understanding data through a semantic search interface and a natural language question answering interface.
- Capital Markets: Systematic trade execution, time series modelling of market features, model predictive optimization, etc.
What you’ll do
- Use your budding AI/ML expertise, creativity and real datasets to apply existing methods (or develop new ones) to solve real-world challenges in a practical and scalable way.
- Help to assess possibilities and to provide ideas and input into product design choices.
- Assess and understand customer (internal or external) needs and translate them into applicable solutions.
- Conduct research to propose appropriate models/techniques and even have a go at implementing and training the models yourself.
- Employ classical machine learning methods, while also pushing the boundaries of deep learning and AI.
- Embrace the fact that the value of your work is ultimately reflected in the impact it has on the end-customers using our products and to find ways of measuring that impact as an integral part of your mission.
What we’re looking for
- An understanding of the underlying theory of deep learning, operation research, time-series analysis, or related AI field, whether through extensive studies, previous industrial experience or personal self-taught projects.
- Solid programming skills, in a scientific and/or product development context.
- A knowledge of modern devops principles.
- Willingness to share code, review code and have yours reviewed by peers.
- Acknowledgment of – and perhaps experience with – the challenge of running a model on the varied and often noisy data that arises in a commercial context as opposed to running it on a clean academic dataset.
- A passion to learn autonomously and stay up to date on the literature and techniques of your field while participating in the various learning opportunities we offer.
What we offer for your valuable work
- Work closely with other AI enthusiasts;
- Enjoy your work and life harmony;
- Leave your mark in a thriving industry;
- Apply your talent to tackling new challenges everyday;
- Be surprised at how much you will learn;
- Open and inclusive company culture.
Name of employer
Place of employment
Years of experience
0 to 2 years
Number of available positions
Type of job
Until December 17, 2019